Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.
District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab
David Moss and Zoey SroteApril 24, 2024

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members...

A police officer parks on campus to survey the environment and as a safety precautions. The district increased police presence amidst a school shooting threat that was called into 911 on Sunday.
911 Threat Causes Students to Stay Home, Admin to Increase Security
Emily Chen and Shreya DasApril 22, 2024

The person responsible for yesterday's 911 threat against a Rockwood high school is still unknown. “Today we were alerted that the police...

MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

Admin Tighten Tardy, Attendance Expectations

Kasey+Mills%2C+hall+monitor%2C+scans+the+halls+after+passing+period+to+encourage+students+to+get+to+class.+This+year%E2%80%99s+administration+is+holding+students+more+accountable+for+their+absences+and+tardies.+
Media by Willem Hummel
Kasey Mills, hall monitor, scans the halls after passing period to encourage students to get to class. This year’s administration is holding students more accountable for their absences and tardies.

Noah Southerland, sophomore, missed school last Thursday and Friday due to illness and recovered over the weekend.

He said it was fortunate that his illness overlapped with a long holiday weekend.

“It’s definitely a little bit troubling that if something like that were to happen again, I would have been in a comparatively bad place,” he said.

This is because this school year, the administration has changed attendance and Ac Lab policies to crack down on students who are repeatedly missing school or who are late to class. One such change is teachers will no longer teach lessons during Ac Lab to students who missed class.

When students check in after school has started, they either receive a tardy pass, an unexcused pass or excused pass.

Southerland said changes such as this may have some unintended consequences. 

“In a lot of circumstances, when somebody is absent from school it is outside of their hands,” he said. “It shouldn’t be a punishment upon them.”

Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine said the administration is also cracking down on tardies and absences this year. A full list of the changes can be found in Parent Square in an announcement that was sent out last week

“When kids are out of class, they’re not getting the information that they need to be successful. That teacher is now having to find a way, a new way, of trying to get that information to the student,” Devine said.

Devine said the school needs structure and organization to make sure students are where they need to be at the correct time and so teachers can start class on time. He said every Friday the grade-level offices will push out tardy warnings to students. Disciplinary action will be taken if a student meets or exceeds three tardies.

When kids are out of class, they’re not getting the information that they need to be successful. That teacher is now having to find a way, a new way, of trying to get that information to the student,

— Kyle Devine

Last year Devine found that repeated absences were from the same students. 

“It’s always that same exact kid who’s disrupting the other 30 kids trying to learn.” Devine said. 

Darcy Hachmeister, math department chair, said it is important for students to be on time in her class because she starts right when the bell rings. If they miss the first part of class, they miss time to ask questions over homework for that night.

“If I am starting a new lesson, they miss that initial foundation that sets up the whole lesson, so then they are going to be behind,” Hachmeister said.

Hachmeister said that in her math classes, some of her students completely miss class because they think they can just use the online notes or watch videos to learn the material.

Hachmeister said she purposefully does not post videos or filled-in notes anymore to encourage her students to come to class.

There is so much more learning and understanding happening in the classroom versus just copying down notes or watching a video.

“If they are not there, they miss the little nuances that I talk about, those problems off to the left or to the right, where it’s a discussion and not me just doing problems up on the board,” Hachmeister said. “There is so much more learning and understanding happening in the classroom versus just copying down notes or watching a video.”

Hachmeister said she hopes students will do what they are supposed to do: get to class on time and go to class.

“School is not about roaming the halls or skipping class. It’s about getting in the classroom and learning,” Hachmeister said.