Board of Education Results Announced

After+voting%2C+voters+were+given+stickers%2C+indicating+that+they+voted.+On+Tuesday%2C+April+4%2C+members+of+the+community+voted+on+members+for+the+Rockwood+School+District+Board+of+Education.+

Media by Parker Brandt

After voting, voters were given stickers, indicating that they voted. On Tuesday, April 4, members of the community voted on members for the Rockwood School District Board of Education.

As the district’s Board of Education (BOE) elections came to a close on Tuesday April 4, three candidates were elected: Lynne Midyett, Kary Bachert, and Robert (Bob) Cadigan.

The other three candidates in the race were Thomas Dunn, Trisha Katzfey and Richard Wierzba

Lynne Midyett, current vice president of the BOE, was the only incumbent seeking re-election. Midyett has served on the BOE for five years.

As vice president, Midyett oversees Board meetings whenever the president is not available to run them. She also oversaw the hiring of Superintendent Dr. Curtis Cain, the 2022 Missouri Association of School Administrators Superintendent of the Year.

I see our students as people we should always be thinking about first, whether it be academically or in other areas. We’re here for students.

— Lynne Midyett

“I’ve lived here for a long time. My kids went to school here and my grandkids are now here in Rockwood,” Midyett said. “I just feel that I owe it to the community to use my skills in Rockwood.”

Midyett said she wishes to make improvements to Rockwood, mainly through unity.

“I want to make sure every bus driver, every custodian, lunch staff, teacher, student feels valued and appreciated,” Midyett said. “I want to accomplish the creation of a student advisory board to amplify the student voice and connect students to Board members.”

Midyett said she hopes students continue to participate in BOE elections.

“I see our students as people we should always be thinking about first, whether it be academically or in other areas. We’re here for students,” Midyett said.

Claire Grossman, senior, said she is relieved with the results of the election and is glad she voted because the race was close.

I’m hopeful that our district can lean into discomfort and have difficult conversations about how we can best support the wonderful young people that fill our buildings each day.

— Jordan Shelton

“I felt like this election was very important for the future of Rockwood,” Grossman said.

Because the candidates took out ads in local papers, Grossman said she felt she could easily be informed about each candidate and what they stood for, so she felt confident in her choices when voting.

“Some of the candidates had a certain antipathy towards marginalized students,” Grossman said. “I think this is a big win for people who care about every person in Rockwood.”

Jordan Shelton, language arts teacher and RNEA representative, said she is grateful to teach in a district that has so many people on the BOE that are making sure RSD is effectively serving the community.

“I’m hopeful that our district can lean into discomfort and have difficult conversations about how we can best support the wonderful young people that fill our buildings each day,” Shelton said.