Dunkin Donuts opens on Clarkson Road

While many a challenge to afford name-brand coffee excursions to places like Starbuck’s, a more affordable option has arrived on Clarkson Road. Dunkin Donuts opened its doors on Thursday, Sept. 13, and began serving coffee, donuts and breakfast sandwiches to the community.

Amanda Allen, senior, has visited the new store twice during her senior incentive period in the past two weeks.

“I’ll probably go back just because it’s so convenient and close to school,” Allen said.

While the donuts did not surpass her expectations, Allen said she was highly satisfied with the coffee.

Compared to other coffee shops, Allen said Dunkin was a good price, with the exception of the breakfast sandwiches. Allen said she paid about $3-$4 for a ham, egg and cheese sandwich on an English muffin.

“I think of it as the fast-food version of a coffee house,” Allen said.

John Raymond, assistant store manager, said the store’s location has proved to be very successful for business. On opening weekend, Raymond said they sold more than 600 dozen donuts, 300 dozen per day.

“On weekends, we will have eight bakers and still be short-staffed,” Raymond said.

He said the majority of the customers are families; however, they see students, workers and senior citizens.

“It helps that we’re right off the highway and surrounded by schools,” Raymond said.

Another reason for their success, he said, is the ratio of price to quality, as well as variety.

“We’re a lot cheaper than Starbucks,” Raymond said. “And our products still taste good.”

Laurie Schultz, language arts teacher, said the coffee is delicious and the donuts are high quality.

“It’s a great location and I love the fact that there is a drive-thru,” said Schultz.

$15
$625

Dani Whitaker
Dani Whitaker, Ad Manager
Dani is a senior, and this is her second year on staff. She is the senior class treasurer and is involved in many things at MHS, including Renaissance, National Honor Society, Key Club, Young Conservatives Club, track & field, Spanish Club, Senior Women. She works at Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt and Bandana's BBQ, and her hobbies include running, cooking, and spending time with friends. Her favorite foods are steak and toasted ravioli, and her favorite TV show is Friends. What she loves about newspaper is talking to people. She is considering going to law school when she graduates.
$15
$625