New library and hallways open

Media by Kathleen Siegmund
Lee Mitchell, head librarian, cuts the ribbon at the library’s dedication. The dedication ceremony was on Friday, August 23 after school.

Many students have walked past the new library and peeked through the windows to see the new library and classrooms, but only a handful have actually been up to the new classrooms to experience them.

The new library opened for student use on Monday, Aug. 20, and the four new classrooms added by the recent construction project were first seen by students on the first day of school. The finished areas include more space and options for Marquette students.

“The new classrooms excite me for the school year,” Paul Burns, Associate Principal said.

He said that although the classrooms are newer, there are not many differences between them and the old classrooms. Most of the classrooms in the school have a smart board, desks and a dry erase board. The new classrooms aren’t any better than the new ones, just newer, Burns said.

“We really needed the space, the teachers won’t have to move rooms as much during the day,” Burns said.

The finished library includes a larger computer area, softer seating, high tables, and wall of windows with an outdoor view. The new design also includes a conference room, long-distance learning lab, and “huddle rooms” for small groups of students.

“We really needed more space,” Mitchell said. “I guess I thought we were fine until I see how much space we have now. I think we have more things to offer students.”

Lafayette, Eureka, and Rockwood Summit all have new libraries, and our old library was not big enough to accommodate the student population, Principal Dr. Greg Mathison said.

Dr. Mathison said that while library rules will not change, the two huddle rooms will provide a space separate from the rest of the library for students to work together and the distance learning lab will give classes the opportunity to communicate with people and communities outside of school.

“There are only certain places in the school that all students can use and one of them is the library.” Dr. Mathison said. “We’re an academic school, and that should be our focal point.”

$15
$625

JP Morray
JP Morray, Assistant Online Sports Editor
John-Paul Morray is a senior and assistant sports online editor on staff.  He plans to play soccer in college and in his free time he enjoys hanging with friends and playing fifa.  He loves listening to Maroon 5 and enjoys rainy weather.  His favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother and his favorite part about newspaper is jamming out in the office.
Catie Lambert
Catie Lambert, Editor in Chief
Catie Lambert is the editor in chief of the newspaper this year. She has been on newspaper for three years and has really enjoyed the experience. At MHS, she plays on the golf team and participates in Spanish club, and outside of school she enjoys sports, travel and spending time with friends and family.
Kathleen Siegmund
Kathleen Siegmund, Copy Editor and Webmaster
Kathleen is a senior, and this is her third and final year on staff.  In addition to newspaper, Kathleen is member of Model UN, Key Club and YCC.  Outside of the classroom, she loves reading, watching television, politics, perusing YouTube and all things British.  Kathleen also loves traveling and hopes to visit more places in the world.  She adores too many TV programs to pick just one.  Her top favorites, though, are Doctor Who, The West Wing, 30 Rock, Sherlock, Arrested Development and Fawlty Towers (but really, she also loves  Bones, Frasier, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother, Avatar...) .  If Kathleen could only eat one thing in whole world for the rest of her life, it would definitely be sourdough bread (especially from Boudin Bakery!). Though she wouldn't say no to a Portillo's Italian beef and eclair cake.  Kathleen plans on going to university next fall somewhere far away from St. Louis to study international relations, which will hopefully help her to decrease world suck someday.  Her favorite part of the newspaper is working with all the staff members and seeing people read the paper when it comes out.  DFTBA!
$15
$625