MHSNews | Marquette Hosts Bring Your Kid to Work Day
Lani Hines, Staff Reporter • April 30, 2024

On April 18th, Marquette hosted the nationwide Bring Your Kid To Work Day. MHS News spoke with multiple children throughout the day to explore...

MHSNews | Making Art at the Manchester Makers Mart
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • April 26, 2024

At Schroeder Park, the Manchester Parks, Recreation, and Arts Department hosted the Manchester Makers Mart to celebrate Earth Day. The event...

Goggles, water gun, and floaties are all used to eliminate students and remain safe while playing Senior Assassin
Seniors Compete in Senior Assassin to Win a Cash Prize
Morgan Siegel, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

Stalking his next target on Life360 and camping out at her job, Jackson Butler, senior, cornered Tara Deshpande, senior, in the parking lot where...

MHSNews | MHS French Club Fights Festival Waste
Sophia Dominicis, Social Media Editor • April 22, 2024

With festival's popularity seeing an increase, waste is also increasing. French teacher Della Thompson talks about one of Marquette's largest...

Forever Curious

The Endless Journey of Lifelong Learning
Forever+Curious
Media by Prashu Sidella

In a world that is constantly evolving, the pursuit of knowledge is not confined to the walls of a classroom but extends into every aspect of our lives. February underscores the significance of perpetual learning, officially recognized as Lifelong Learning Month.

Kennedy Payne, senior, enjoys spending her free time furthering her knowledge in many areas.

“The more you start learning about ongoing things around you can make you a better person and just help you understand the world around you and the people surrounding you,” Payne said.

Outside of school hours, Payne dedicates time to delve into the intricacies of French culture, continuously refining her language skills. Complementing her linguistic pursuits, her aspirations as a future nurse drive her to delve into the complexities of the human body, perpetually expanding her knowledge in the field.

The more you start learning about ongoing things around you can make you a better person and just help you understand the world around you and the people surrounding you,

— Kennedy Payne

“I have been studying French for nine years but recently, I started self-studying it outside of my designated class times. It has helped me not only understand the language but also the culture which I think is really important,” Payne said.

Payne emphasizes the great benefits of simply devoting ten minutes of your time each day to learn something new.

“You might not notice it at first, but you’ll notice yourself thinking about little things that you’ve learned and applying them to the world around you as you go through your day,” Payne said. “Start out small. The more you learn, the more you’ll want to learn.”

Ray Holmes, librarian, echoes the sentiment of being a lifelong learner, emphasizing the importance of continuous learning at every stage of life.

“I feel like at every stage in a person’s life, they will have experiences which sometimes are very direct, like attending class. But even beyond that, I think it’s important to continue learning the world around you and others so you can find your place,” Holmes said.

As a librarian and former language arts teacher, Holmes said reading has always been his go-to method for gaining insights into topics he’s curious about. He encourages others to stay curious and open-minded, recognizing that moments of confusion or curiosity are golden opportunities for learning.

“If you’re not sure what’s going on or you’re just a little bit curious, just dig a little, dig a little bit deeper. You might come across something fascinating and it will be worth your while.” Holmes said.

If you’re not sure what’s going on or you’re just a little bit curious, just dig a little, dig a little bit deeper. You might come across something fascinating and it will be worth your while.

— Ray Holmes

Principal Dr.Tracey Waeckerle believes that since the times are always changing, being a lifelong learner is imperative.

“There’s always something new to learn, and so you have to kind of keep up with your learning as you get older, or else you will be left behind,” Dr.Waeckerle said.

Dr.Waeckerle completed her formal education two years ago; she has a doctorate, a few master’s degrees and an undergraduate degree.

“I feel like even in this job, I’m constantly looking at ways to grow professionally. In terms of work, the district provides a lot of professional development opportunities.” Dr. Waeckerle said. “And then, there’s a lot of things in life that I try to learn just as a parent to learn new things that I can do to be there for my kids.”

Beyond the professional sphere, Dr. Waeckerle indulges her curiosity during her free time, delving into new information related to her hobbies. Whether it’s honing her culinary skills or attempting to navigate the world of gardening, she embraces the learning curve.

Dr. Waeckerle urges students to find the positives in learning.

“I think a lot of times students think school is just a means to get to the next phase of life, but trying to figure out how to make it a positive part of your life and how to take something away from it is very beneficial,” Dr. Waeckerle said. “I truly believe the whole statement of ‘What you put into something is what you get out of it’. I believe that is true in not only education but many aspects of life.”