Cristal Strate, FBLA sponsor, announces the club members who will be going to nationals for the Prepared Project competition. Freshmen Miridul Soupramanien, Harshith Akurati and Vibhav Chinta competed in the Intros to Programming project.
FBLA Students Go to Nationals
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 10, 2024

Several students in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) will travel to Nationals in Orlando, Florida, on Friday, June 28, as part of the...

Many students use filler words when they communicate without realizing it. “For a person who’s listening to you, it can undermine your message and your confidence level so that you don’t look as though you are prepared,” Cate Sanazaro, language arts teacher, said.
It's, Like, a Habit I Guess
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • May 8, 2024

When Madison Cook, sophomore, speaks to others, her sentences are full of filler words. “I get really nervous when I’m talking and just...

Labadie Energy Center is the largest coal-powered power plant in the St. Louis region. It began operating in 1973.
In-Depth: Path to Power
Aubrey Lacavich and David MossMay 8, 2024

For Yaw Oduro, freshman, electricity wasn’t always as simple as flicking a switch. Oduro was born in South Africa and lived there for 14...

Each spring, the Community Service class creates posters to display the colleges that seniors will be attending in the fall.
How Seniors Prepared for College Admission Deadline
Zoey Srote, Staff Reporter • May 8, 2024

May 1 was college decision day. A majority of colleges across the country require students to make a decision on whether to accept or decline...

National Hispanic Heritage Month Recognized by Students, Staff

Media by Sophia Dominicis
Leticia Seitz, a local Mexican artist, visited MHS on Tuesday, Oct. 10, in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. She shared her artwork with students in the second mod of Ac Lab that were inspired by Dia De Los Muertos.

The MHS Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica, founded by Brock Wrisberg, senior, will be recognizing National Hispanic Heritage Month by creating an art piece to be hung in the World Languages hallway. The creation will be a set of wings with the flags of various Hispanic countries attached to it.

“Our hope is that this embraces the diversity of the Hispanic countries that are represented with National Hispanic Heritage Month,” Wrisberg said.

From Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, National Hispanic Heritage Month recognizes Hispanic and Latino Americans’ history, culture and contributions to the U.S.

The Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica will also help the library with Hispanic Heritage Month decorations like posters, Wrisberg said.

The Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica created this art piece, which is hung in the World Languages hallway, to recognize National Hispanic Heritage Month. The piece includes flags of various Hispanic countries who are celebrated from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. “Our hope is that this embraces the diversity of the Hispanic countries that are represented with National Hispanic Heritage Month,” Brock Wrisberg, club president, said. (Media by Annabelle Miller)

Hispanic Heritage is celebrated around the St. Louis area with events like the Hispanic Festival in Soulard, Missouri. The event, which ran from Sept. 22-24, featured authentic food vendors, Latino bands, folkloric dancers and Hispanic crafts to raise money for scholarships given to college-bound students and underprivileged children.

The festival also presented the first Hispanic Heritage Flag with colors representing the earth, water, mountains, family and sacrifices that connect the Hispanic countries.

Monica Bremer, Spanish teacher, has a close connection with National Hispanic Heritage Month. 

Bremer grew up in Panama and moved to the U.S. as a teenager to get her master’s degree in education from Lindenwood University. 

“I come from a very small country where there is an abundance of nature, and here you have that too, so I felt right at home,” Bremer said.

Although she adjusted well to the community, one of the surprises she experienced when she moved here was the lack of public transportation.

“I used to ask ‘Where is the bus station?’ or ‘Where is your bus stop?’ and they’d say that there’s no bus station in St. Charles, and I couldn’t believe it,” Bremer said.

One thing she misses about Panama, Bremer said, is the Caribbean-Latin culture of the country.

“We are very happy people that celebrate everything and anything,” Bremer said.

Bremer said she teaches about Hispanic culture to her students throughout the year. For October, her classes will celebrate famous Hispanic figures and Día de los Muertos.

“Recognizing and making a space to discuss the importance of diversity in the world and how we are all different, I feel is important,” Bremer said.

Despite the relative diversity of the MHS community, Bremer said there is still distance between the community and other cultures, so it is important to celebrate events like National Hispanic Heritage Month.

“I feel that in some ways, because we are in the middle of the state and so far from the borders, we become very immersed in our own reality,” Bremer said.

Laura Sanchez Perez, sophomore, connects with her Hispanic heritage by visiting her family in Mexico every year during the summer. 

“I go see my grandparents, and I have cousins, a bunch of cousins, because it’s a Hispanic family so it’s pretty large,” Sanchez Perez said.

Sanchez Perez said her parents moved to the U.S. around 20 years ago to provide a better life for themselves and their families.

“My mom worked from a very young age, so she wanted to move to America to get as much money as possible so her parents could have a better life too,” Sanchez Perez said.

Despite the long distance between her and the rest of her family, Sanchez Perez said she still feels close to her Mexican heritage. 

Each November, she and her family set up an ofrenda, an altar built to honor lost loved ones, to celebrate Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). She said they place pictures of their ancestors and their favorite food items on the ofrenda.

“We have this huge gathering at my house, and we have a ton of family members from different sides of the family visit and talk about different memories that we have of people who passed away,” Sanchez Perez said.

Recognizing and making a space to discuss the importance of diversity in the world and how we are all different, I feel is important.”

— Monica Bremer

Another connection to her heritage, she said, is her parent’s work ethic. Sanchez Perez said her parents started working at 12 years old and still work long hours to provide for their family. 

“It has set that example for me and the rest of my siblings to be very hardworking,” Sanchez Perez said.