Looking Ahead to the Talent Show

Choir members sing in the 2017 Talent Show.

Photographed by Kailin Zhang

Photographed by Kailin Zhang

Singers, dancers, magicians and even a nationally ranked jump-roper have all performed on stage in front of their peers for the MHS Talent Show. This year many more students are preparing for their turn to share their talents.

Jason Winter, choir director, is the director of the Talent Show. He described it as a non-competitive, audition-based show. It was created so every student is given an opportunity to present their talents.

The Talent Show is set apart from other events at MHS due to its inclusive nature.

“It is one of very few events that is actually open to any student who is interested in auditioning,”  Winter said.

Julia Vo, junior, said she participated in the Talent Show with the choir as a freshman and as sophomore. However, this is the first time she will be auditioning.

“Time is short,” Vo said. “You might as well do something that’s fun, that you enjoy.”

In past years the choir has opened the show and because of this, Vo has been able to experience the Talent Show as an audience member as well as a performer.

The Talent Show offers students the opportunity to express themselves. Vo said as an audience member, a person is able to connect to the performers and learn something new about them.

“I feel like [the show] allows people to get out of their comfort zones because not a lot of us are brave enough to share our talents with others,” Vo said.

Sarah Peterson, senior, is one person who has several times decided to get out of her comfort zone. She has performed twice at MHS and once at Selvidge Middle School, each time performing opera. Peterson is self-taught in opera, learning it because of the beauty of the genre.

Peterson said she began participating in the Talent Show as a way to get over her stage fright. She still finds auditions nerve-wracking but overall has gained confidence from participating in the show.

“I love singing and performing, it calms me down in the end and makes me really happy,” Peterson said.

She will be auditioning for the Talent Show again this year.

“It’s my last year. I want to put my mark on the school as best as I can,” Peterson said.

Although the performance typically occurs in late September or early October – the 2017 show took place on Oct. 6 and 7 – Winter said the later date of Homecoming has pushed other events forward, including the Talent Show. This year the show is happening on Sept. 20 and 21 at 7pm, with auditions on Sept. 4 and 6.

Winter said whether part of a bigger evening or an evening by itself, he encourages people to attend. Starting the week of Sept. 10, tickets can be purchased for $5 in the Commons. They can be purchased for $8 at the door the night of the show.

Winter said he expects the show to be a good night of entertainment and a great environment for creating art.

Alyssa Shellabarger, Staff Reporter

Alyssa Shellabarger, junior, is a Staff Reporter for the Messenger. She is also a member of the track team and an officer of Key Club. Outside of school...

Kailin Zhang, Associate Editor

Kailin Zhang, junior, is currently the Associate Editor-in-Chief of the Marquette Messenger. Outside of newspaper, Kailin is the co-president of FBLA and...