MHSNews | Making Art at the Manchester Makers Mart
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • April 26, 2024

At Schroeder Park, the Manchester Parks, Recreation, and Arts Department hosted the Manchester Makers Mart to celebrate Earth Day. The event...

Goggles, water gun, and floaties are all used to eliminate students and remain safe while playing Senior Assassin
Seniors Compete in Senior Assassin to Win a Cash Prize
Morgan Siegel, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

Stalking his next target on Life360 and camping out at her job, Jackson Butler, senior, cornered Tara Deshpande, senior, in the parking lot where...

MHSNews | MHS French Club Fights Festival Waste
Sophia Dominicis, Social Media Editor • April 22, 2024

With festival's popularity seeing an increase, waste is also increasing. French teacher Della Thompson talks about one of Marquette's largest...

MHSNews | Ask MHS Compilation 23-24
MHSNews | Ask MHS Compilation 23-24
MHSNews StaffApril 21, 2024

It’s Sew Seasonal

Family celebrates PJ-making tradition
Media by Marla Olish
Samantha Perz, sophomore, sews a pair of holiday pajamas when she was younger. This tradition started when she was about 9 years old.

It’s a 25° night the week before Christmas. The gentle chatter of a sewing machine awakens the Perz family’s Christmas spirit.

Samantha Perz, sophomore, works with her family friend, Marla Olish, to create holiday-themed pajama pants for the Perz family, a tradition she’s been participating in since she was 9 years old.

Every year the Perz family chooses a different fabric to sew for their matching holiday pajamas. (Media by Marla Olish)

“It is heartwarming to spend time with Samantha,” Olish said. “We talk and laugh. I get to hear what’s going on in her life and, more often, she is a good sounding board for me.”

The sewing process begins by picking out a fabric and selecting a pattern for the pants. Perz and Olish then cut out two pant legs using the pattern. They flip the pant legs inside out and sew the open end together on each of them, which creates the inner seam on each leg.

After sewing the inner seams, one of the pant legs is stuffed in the other so that the matching sides of the fabric are facing each other. Next, the pant legs are aligned and sewn together. Finally, the waist and hem of the pants are sewn together with a strip of elastic threaded through the waist.

“It’s satisfying to know you made something from start to finish, and I always have a good time while doing it.”

— Samantha Perz

“It’s satisfying to know you made something from start to finish, and I always have a good time while doing it,” Perz said.

Since the tradition started, Perz and Olish have evolved from using cotton fabrics to fleece fabrics for warmth. They both said that complex patterns and plaids are difficult to sew, so they stick to simpler Christmas patterns that have an ideal amount of holiday shine.

This year, Perz and Olish are working with a gingerbread design.

This year the family chose a gingerbread design for their holiday pajamas. (Media by Annabelle Miller)

Samantha’s younger brother, Daniel, freshman, said he enjoys hanging out with his family during the sewing process and playing Christmas music in the background. Daniel has received pajama pants for the last three years.

“They are quite comfortable and it has turned into a family tradition,” Daniel said.

Olish said she hopes to keep this tradition with the Perz family alive in the future.

“I hope that we keep a placeholder in our calendar each year and, who knows, maybe someday we’ll teach Samantha’s children too,” Olish said. “Sewing is a good life lesson about planning, making decisions, adapting when necessary, and living with the consequences. It is a pleasure of my life to be a part of this tradition.”