Manie Musicale!

Foreign Language Students Celebrate Music at Hallway Party
The foreign language classes had an end-of-year celebration for the winning Spanish song they listened to throughout the year. The students danced and ate while they enjoyed the music in the hallways.

Throughout the day on May 3, Spanish and French classes gathered in the World Languages Hallway to dance and enjoy music.

The music listened to were the finalist songs for the Locura de Marzo and Manie Musicale song competitions held across the country and at MHS. 

Lyrics to “Ojitos Rojos” play on the projection screen in the hallway for students to sing along during the hallway music celebration. (Media by Eli Ferguson)

“The idea is just the concept of celebrating together,” Monica Bremer, Spanish teacher, said. “We could do it in a classroom and do it individually but that’s what we do every day.”

Students brought food and listened to the music with the rest of the classes. 

Bremer said she wanted to have the celebration so all of the classes could experience the music together, including the French students with their separate competition.

“Not everyone sings, not everybody dances, but just being there and absorbing that energy and the positive energy and happy energy, it’s just beautiful,” Bremer said.

Gideon Kercher, sophomore, is a Spanish 3 student and attended the event.

“I love it. It’s different than what we usually do,” Kercher said. “Going out in the hall and celebrating, we’ve never done that before.”

Kercher enjoyed the donuts and chips his classmates brought as food for the event.

“I love it. It’s different than what we usually do. Going out in the hall and celebrating, we’ve never done that before.”

— Gideon Kercher

In the Locura de Marzo bracket, Kercher wanted the song, “Somos” to win, but the final two songs were “Ojitos Lindos” and “Para la Vida.” The two finalist songs for the Manie Musicale were “Akwaba” and “Horizon.”

Kelsey Smith, Spanish teacher, helped with the event and said it was successful.

This is the first year that the classes have done this event.

“We ran into some technical difficulties and just tried to figure out what’s going right, what’s going wrong, but it seems like everyone’s having a good time and enjoying the songs that we’re listening to,” Smith said.