Mustangs Mourn the Loss of Student Soren Roeseler

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler.
Soren Roeseler, senior

This story has been updated with information on a candlelight vigil on campus and the memorial service.

Mustangs are mourning the loss of senior Soren Roeseler who passed away Friday, April 5, in a motorcycle accident on Highway 141 in Fenton.

Roeseler’s family has planned a candlelight vigil to be held at the fire pit on campus at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 17.

“All are welcome to join family and friends for a candlelight vigil to celebrate the life and memory of Soren Roeseler, Class of 2024,” read an announcement the Marquette Parent Organization shared on social media.

A memorial service will be held 2 p.m. Saturday, April 20, at the Second Baptist Church in Richmond Heights, 9030 Clayton Rd, St. Louis, Missouri, 63117. The family has asked that those in attendance, “wear bright colors or something that would make him smile.”

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations be sent to a charity of one’s choice in Roeseler’s name or made to a park bench fund Roeseler’s dad, Scott Roeseler, organized. The bench is to be located at Elephant Rocks State Park.

“Soren was there with some great friends a few short weeks ago, and he came home absolutely beaming,” his dad wrote on the Go Fund Me page. “He has always loved being outdoors, and he especially loved that sunny day full of laughter, ‘Lord of the Rings,’ and squeezing himself into small spaces.”

Any extra funds will go toward planting additional trees at the Forest 44 Conservation Area, New Ballwin Park, Bluebird Park and Castlewood State Park.

Laura Marie Coverstone, language arts teacher, said Roeseler was an honest, polite and witty student.

“His contributions in class made discussions richer and minds more open,” Coverstone said. “He was a good ‘lad,’ a good and kind human, and he certainly will be missed.”

Coverstone said Roeseler made the best and largest chocolate chip cookies. She said he wore combat boots and a ponytail to school.

“I don’t think he owned a shirt with sleeves, but he always sported a smile,” Coverstone said. “He had an impressive vocabulary and loved a good debate.” 

Soren Roeseler, senior, was a student in Laura Marie Coverstone’s Language Arts 11 class. “He made the best and largest chocolate chips cookies I’ve had in a long time,” Coverstone said.
Media by Laura Marie Coverstone

During Senior Sunrise this morning, students gathered around Roeseler’s parking spot to celebrate his life.

Friends of Roeseler said he was the most selfless and inclusive person they knew. He often bought thoughtful gifts for his friends and family and brought outsiders into their friend groups. 

They said he worked hard to fuel his hobbies including making knives, rings and swords as a blacksmith. Roeseler was also interested in motorcycles and cars. He worked at St. Louis Bread Co. to help pay for his hobbies. 

Roeseler’s favorite Sci-Fi books were from the “The Expanse” series and he loved the video game series “Dark Souls” and “Elden Ring.” He was highly anticipating the “Shadows of the Erdtree,” a culmination of his interest in blacksmithing, medieval fantasy and video gaming.

Senior Principal Amy Sturges said Roeseler’s passing is another shock to the Senior Class.

“This Senior Class has been through more tragedy than some people have in a lifetime,” Sturges said. “This is another thing we will build together and be there for each other.”

Sturges said grief often comes in waves, and she recommends students check on their peers. The counselors, social workers and social-emotional specialists will be available this week to meet with students.

Principal Dr. Tracey Waeckerle sent a message to the MHS community over the weekend.

“I fully understand that this news will be difficult for so many in our community,” Dr. Waeckerle wrote. “The most important thing I want our students, staff and community to know is that we are here for you. We’ll do everything possible to continue supporting those around us in the coming days.”

View Comments (6)
$15
$625

About the Contributor
Elliott Jorgensen
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer/Production Editor
Elliott Jorgensen, class of 2024, is the Associate Producer for MHSNews and Production Editor for The Messenger. He enjoys going to theme parks, going on bike rides, and creating video content. He is the publicity lead for the Marquette Theatre Company and participates in Politics Club and Girls United. Elliott plans to attend the Missouri School of Journalism at the University of Missouri Columbia.
$15
$625

• Chuck StreckfussApr 10, 2024 at 4:42 PM

We were some of Soren’s favorite customers at Panera- pretty sure he made everyone feel that way! He was one of the kindest souls with a desire to work hard and genuinely cared. He made us countless mac n cheese and thin sliced french baguette loaves and my wife insisted he made the best salads! Our entire family was devastated to hear the news. Our hearts still hurt when we go into Panera and don’t see you. Sending love and prayers to your family and friends. We will never forget you!

Reply
    • Scott Roeseler (Soren's Dad)Apr 13, 2024 at 12:14 PM

Thank you so much for your comment, love, and prayers! Soren absolutely loved his regulars, and I know he mentioned you at home before. He kept working there for you guys and his coworkers. His food (especially the salads) were always the best, both there and at home.

Reply
  • Laura BurkhardtApr 9, 2024 at 11:24 PM

What a tremendous loss. Soren was such a great friend to my son. Everyone who was fortunate to cross paths with Soren is a better person because of it. He will be deeply missed. Thank you to the Marquette Messenger for honoring Soren with this beautiful tribute.

Laura Burkhardt

Reply
    • Scott Roeseler (Soren's Dad)Apr 13, 2024 at 12:18 PM

Thank you so much for the comment and for knowing him. He enriched all of our lives beyond measure.

Reply
  • Ashley DayApr 9, 2024 at 12:22 PM

I’m one of sorens bosses but first was his friend… working with soren was always a delight. I still can’t process this tragic news. He knew how to light up a room and make people laugh. Soren will be missed by his panera family
    We love u buddy

Reply
    • Scott Roeseler (Soren's Dad)Apr 13, 2024 at 12:19 PM

Thank you Ashley, I’m so glad he had you and his friends at Panera. It made us all happy to know that his time at work was filled with laughter.

Reply