MHSNews | Making Art at the Manchester Makers Mart
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • April 26, 2024

At Schroeder Park, the Manchester Parks, Recreation, and Arts Department hosted the Manchester Makers Mart to celebrate Earth Day. The event...

Goggles, water gun, and floaties are all used to eliminate students and remain safe while playing Senior Assassin
Seniors Compete in Senior Assassin to Win a Cash Prize
Morgan Siegel, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

Stalking his next target on Life360 and camping out at her job, Jackson Butler, senior, cornered Tara Deshpande, senior, in the parking lot where...

MHSNews | MHS French Club Fights Festival Waste
Sophia Dominicis, Social Media Editor • April 22, 2024

With festival's popularity seeing an increase, waste is also increasing. French teacher Della Thompson talks about one of Marquette's largest...

MHSNews | Ask MHS Compilation 23-24
MHSNews | Ask MHS Compilation 23-24
MHSNews StaffApril 21, 2024

Students Celebrate Ramadan

Media by Zoya Shah
Zoya Shah, junior, shares a meal with her family at Black Salt in Chesterfield during Ramadan Wednesday, March 13.

Growing up in a Muslim household, Zoya Shah, junior, always celebrated Ramadan with her family by going to their mosque and fasting together. As Shah has gotten older, she said she has found a deeper connection with the holiday.

“I spend the whole month with my friends, and it’s just kind of peaceful,” Shah said. “It makes me feel like I have a reason to live.”

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and is considered a time Muslims can spend with their family and friends. During this holy month, Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset and pray and reflect to get closer to God.

Ramadan starts Sunday, March 10, and goes until Tuesday, April 9.

On Eid al-Fitr, the day after Ramadan ends, Shah and her family spend the day together going to morning prayer and parties, eating meals and spending the night with each other.

Traditional foods eaten during Ramadan consist of soup; samosas, fried dough with vegetables or meat filling; and chaat, a yogurt dish with spices.

At the same time don’t draw attention to it, don’t be ignorant. If they look like they need help, just check in and see if they’re feeling well,

— Ramy Elbeshbeshy

One of the most commonly eaten foods is dates. Dates are used to break fasts, also known as Iftar, because the prophet Mohammed used the food to break his fast.

“We soak our dates in milk before we eat them. It’s so good,” Ramy Elbesbeshy, sophomore, said. “I think it’s a family thing because I don’t know if I’ve seen other people do that before.”

Elbeshbeshy said students can help support their friends and classmates who are celebrating Ramadan in many ways.

“At the same time don’t draw attention to it, don’t be ignorant. If they look like they need help, just check in and see if they’re feeling well,” Elbeshbeshy said.

Maira Waqar, junior, said students and staff being more aware and considerate to those who are fasting is important.

“We always get the question ‘Oh without water? Is it bad?’,”Waqar said. “No, a lot of people do it.”

Keeping the Library open during lunch can also be beneficial for students who don’t want to be around everyone who’s eating.

“It makes it easier not having to sit in the cafeteria,” Waqar said.