MHSNews | Ask MHS Compilation 23-24
MHSNews | Ask MHS Compilation 23-24
MHSNews StaffApril 21, 2024

MHSNews | MHS Choir Students travel to New York City
Angel DiSalvo, Staff Reporter • April 19, 2024

From April 3 - April 7, Marquette choir students joined the Rockwood Combined Choir on a trip to New York City. The choir performed with other...

Seniors Eeliyah Borland, Brady Payne and Frederick McCullough II work together to prepare icing to decorate their cupcakes. Their theme was Sesame Street.
Cupcake Wars
Katelyn Skiles, Staff Reporter • April 19, 2024

In the baking classes, they’re letting competition rise instead of just the dough. Josie Muenks, Baking and Pastry Arts teacher, introduced...

MHSNews | MHS Experiences Partial Solar Eclipse
Stephan Bosnjak, Staff Reporter • April 19, 2024

Marquette students and staff experienced a partial solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024. MHSNews spoke to Hridhay Suswaram, Rick Regina, and Cathy...

Students Celebrate Ramadan

Media by Zoya Shah
Zoya Shah, junior, shares a meal with her family at Black Salt in Chesterfield during Ramadan Wednesday, March 13.

Growing up in a Muslim household, Zoya Shah, junior, always celebrated Ramadan with her family by going to their mosque and fasting together. As Shah has gotten older, she said she has found a deeper connection with the holiday.

“I spend the whole month with my friends, and it’s just kind of peaceful,” Shah said. “It makes me feel like I have a reason to live.”

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and is considered a time Muslims can spend with their family and friends. During this holy month, Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset and pray and reflect to get closer to God.

Ramadan starts Sunday, March 10, and goes until Tuesday, April 9.

On Eid al-Fitr, the day after Ramadan ends, Shah and her family spend the day together going to morning prayer and parties, eating meals and spending the night with each other.

Traditional foods eaten during Ramadan consist of soup; samosas, fried dough with vegetables or meat filling; and chaat, a yogurt dish with spices.

At the same time don’t draw attention to it, don’t be ignorant. If they look like they need help, just check in and see if they’re feeling well,

— Ramy Elbeshbeshy

One of the most commonly eaten foods is dates. Dates are used to break fasts, also known as Iftar, because the prophet Mohammed used the food to break his fast.

“We soak our dates in milk before we eat them. It’s so good,” Ramy Elbesbeshy, sophomore, said. “I think it’s a family thing because I don’t know if I’ve seen other people do that before.”

Elbeshbeshy said students can help support their friends and classmates who are celebrating Ramadan in many ways.

“At the same time don’t draw attention to it, don’t be ignorant. If they look like they need help, just check in and see if they’re feeling well,” Elbeshbeshy said.

Maira Waqar, junior, said students and staff being more aware and considerate to those who are fasting is important.

“We always get the question ‘Oh without water? Is it bad?’,”Waqar said. “No, a lot of people do it.”

Keeping the Library open during lunch can also be beneficial for students who don’t want to be around everyone who’s eating.

“It makes it easier not having to sit in the cafeteria,” Waqar said.