MHSNews | Marquette Hosts Bring Your Kid to Work Day
Lani Hines, Staff Reporter • April 30, 2024

On April 18th, Marquette hosted the nationwide Bring Your Kid To Work Day. MHS News spoke with multiple children throughout the day to explore...

MHSNews | Making Art at the Manchester Makers Mart
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • April 26, 2024

At Schroeder Park, the Manchester Parks, Recreation, and Arts Department hosted the Manchester Makers Mart to celebrate Earth Day. The event...

Goggles, water gun, and floaties are all used to eliminate students and remain safe while playing Senior Assassin
Seniors Compete in Senior Assassin to Win a Cash Prize
Morgan Siegel, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

Stalking his next target on Life360 and camping out at her job, Jackson Butler, senior, cornered Tara Deshpande, senior, in the parking lot where...

MHSNews | MHS French Club Fights Festival Waste
Sophia Dominicis, Social Media Editor • April 22, 2024

With festival's popularity seeing an increase, waste is also increasing. French teacher Della Thompson talks about one of Marquette's largest...

Sophomore Influences Policy on Global Issues

Media by Eli Ferguson
Adithya Chengalvala, sophomore, is in a group called RESULTS. They are advocating for ending Tuberculosis and improving global education in impoverished communities. Photograph by Eli Ferguson. Photo illustration by Layla Shockley

Adithya Chengalvala, sophomore, is looking for results. Specifically he would like to see the end of global poverty. 

To reach these goals, Chengalvala joined the international RESULTS group that teaches volunteers how to influence policy by contacting legislators about topics concerning poverty.

“We focus our efforts to improve global standards and domestic standards within the United States, whether it’s education, health, etc.” Chengalvala said.

Right now, members of the group are working on gaining co-signers in Congress for the End TB Now Act for global tuberculosis support and the READ Act Reauthorization Act for global education.

Volunteers of all ages can join either as regularly active members of a state or local group or just part of the action network for those who have limited time to dedicate.

As a regularly active member, Chengalvala, attended his first Zoom lobby meeting in September with an aide from Missouri Senator Eric Schmitt’s St. Louis office to talk about tuberculosis and improving education across the globe.

I’ve always had a zeal to help people, education-wise.

— Adithya Chengalvala

“It’s kind of hard because they’re very busy people. Even getting a meeting and giving them an opportunity to co-sponsor bills that we want to push, it’s a big thing,” Chengalvala said.

Chengalvala joined Results after hearing about it from a family friend who participates. His mother encouraged him to join after that.

“I saw their goals and standards, and it resonated with me. I’ve always had a zeal to help people, education-wise,” Chengalvala said. 

Chengalvala joined the St. Louis Global Issues group of about 10 members in May of 2023, and met Cynthia Changyit Levin, the group co-leader.

For 15 years, Levin has worked as a volunteer for advocacy groups focused on poverty, global health and gun violence. 

“It’s quite a significant achievement to step out of one’s comfort zone and speak to a congressional office,” Levin said. “Most American adults will never step up to have that experience, so I’m thrilled that Adithya is starting so early.”

Within the group, they also hold letter writing events where new and returning members write to local representatives advocating for legislation.

“There is so much in the news that is discouraging, but when someone joins our group, it’s a reminder that people really do want to be involved in making our country better,” Levin said.

It’s quite a significant achievement to step out of one’s comfort zone and speak to a congressional office, I’m thrilled that Adithya is starting so early.

— Cynthia Changyit Levin

Levin said volunteers can use the power of advocacy to create impacts like helping raise money for families and children in poverty around the world.

Katherine Bauman, social studies teacher, emphasizes the importance of students getting involved with the government.

“You can volunteer in political campaigns, canvassing and phone calls,” Bauman said. “You can write letters to your local legislators about issues, there’s all kinds of ways, but, of course, the most important way is to vote.”

Bauman said there are organizations in and out of school that get students involved with local and international issues. Some examples include Model United Nations and Civitas,a local political organization that is working with another organization, Immigrant Outreach, to help immigrants adapt to St. Louis.

“I think it’s excellent,” Bauman said about Chengalvala’s involvement in RESULTS. “I think that’s going to give them a very realistic picture of how the government influences their lives and that they can influence the government.”