Lauren Steidtmann, sophomore, is an only child but thinks  birth order influences how children grow up. “I think that birth order definitely changes the expectations that parents put on you and how you’re expected to perform, both in school and in other responsibilities,” Steidtmann said.
What Does Birth Order Say About You?
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

As an only child, Lauren Steidtmann, sophomore, grew up around adults instead of kids. “I always talked to adults, so I was always really...

Luis Miranda Hernandez, freshman, works on an assignment in his Spanish 2 class. Miranda Hernandez speaks Spanish at home and plans to take Heritage Spanish next year.
Heritage Spanish Classes to be Added Next Year
Luke Graves, Business Manager • May 22, 2024

Next year, Spanish Heritage classes will be offered for the first time. The classes will have two levels and will involve students who grew up...

Equine Assisted Therapy involves the use of horses to develop cognitive skills, empathy, and teamwork to name a few. Equine therapy is suitable for all demographics.
Equine Therapy Offers Alternative to Traditional Therapy
Tessa Autery, Staff Reporter • May 22, 2024

Cassidy Kerber, freshman, has lived at a barn for her entire life. She spends her days in the stables riding, walking and grazing horses. “Whenever...

Cristal Strate, FBLA sponsor, announces the club members who will be going to nationals for the Prepared Project competition. Freshmen Miridul Soupramanien, Harshith Akurati and Vibhav Chinta competed in the Intros to Programming project.
FBLA Students Go to Nationals
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 10, 2024

Several students in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) will travel to Nationals in Orlando, Florida, on Friday, June 28, as part of the...

MTC receives Honors for International Thespian Society

Media by Keira Leung
Officers from MTC traveled to Jefferson City this weekend for the Missouri Thespian Leadership Conference. They received Honors status in the International Thespian Society. “It shows that all of our hard work has paid off,” said Mathers.

Officers of Marquette Theatre Company (MTC) traveled to Jefferson City this weekend for the Missouri State Thespian Leadership Conference, where they earned acceptance into the Missouri Honors Troupe.

Junior Riley Gregory, secretary of MTC, went to the conference and participated in different clinics to improve her leadership skills.

“The clinic was called ‘Jive, Groove, Girlboss’ and it was basically about being a girl in a leadership position,” Gregory said. “I learned about bringing women around you up and empowering them, and that was really cool.”

We were excited to attend this year because MTC hasn’t been since 2015, it was everyone’s first time going.

— Drew Mathers

Gregory and junior Drew Mathers, vice president of MTC, presented their fundraisers and achievements at the conference in hopes of

“It gives us a sense of accomplishment, and it makes us feel more confident going into this year,” Gregory said.

Although any troupe can join the International Thespian Society (ITS), applying for Honors is the highest status they can receive.

“Randomly selected theater teachers from around Missouri gauged our accomplishments through our presentation and we ended up passing,” Mathers said.

We’re putting ourselves out there so we can receive as many opportunities as possible. To perform in Kansas City would be a huge honor.

— Rebecca Blindauer

“We were excited to attend this year because MTC hasn’t been since 2015,” Mathers said. “It was everyone’s first time going.”

Rebecca Blindauer, theater director, went to the conference during her very first year of teaching in 2015 but hasn’t been back since this year.

“I was so glad to go this year,” Blindauer said. “There was a lot of excitement amongst our officers to share what they learned with the group.”

In preparation for the State Thespian Conference, MTC also decided to submit the “Glass Menagerie,” the current play which will be performed in late October, for review. Two to three adjudicators will be sent to MHS to watch the production, and if they decide it’s something they want the state to see, the play will be performed in Kansas City during the International Thespian Society Conference in January.

“We’re putting ourselves out there so we can receive as many opportunities as possible,” Blindauer said. “To perform in Kansas City would be a huge honor.”