Varsity wrestling goes to state championship

Over the weekend, the varsity wrestling team went to State in Columbia, Missouri.

The wrestling program has had its ups and downs in the last few years, with a coaching change every year for the past four years.  Scott Sissom, head coach, says he couldn’t have done it without the rest of his coaching staff.

“My assistants have done a great job and have really helped with the technical aspect,” Sissom said.

Coach Sissom said that his new assistant, Jacob Deiffenbach, has helped out tremendously.

This year there are three wrestlers representing Marquette at State, juniors Brett Stoffel and Noah Reid and Senior Matt Bruer.

This is Reid and Bruers’ first year competing in State, and Stoffel’s second year.

“I’m excited,” Reid said.  “This is my first time competing and I’ve been looking forward to it all week.”

The three are all competing in different weight classes.  Stoffel is competing in the 106lb. weight class, Reid is in the 132lb. weight class, and Bruer is in the 195lb. weight class.

“There aren’t going to be any easy rounds,” Sissom said.  “All three weight classes will be tough.  The boys have a better chance if they are over aggressive rather than waiting for their opponents to make a mistake.”

Throughout the year the coaches try and help the wrestlers turn weaknesses into strengths and to make their strengths even stronger.  Coach Sissom said that all three boys have been well focused and have worked hard all year.

“If there were three guys that got to represent us, these are the right guys.”

The boys have been more focused on analyzing their opponents in the past couple weeks and fine-tuning their technical skills.

“I’m excited to get a rematch at the number one kid, I should have beat him in districts,” Stoffel said.

Coach Sissom said it would be nice if they placed, but it’s not about where they place to him, he just wants each wrestler to compete to their full potential.

“They’ve been getting better each week, my advice to them is just to be confident and stay loose,” Deiffenbach said.

Stoffel placed fourth and Bruer placed sixth.

$15
$625

JP Morray
JP Morray, Assistant Online Sports Editor
John-Paul Morray is a senior and assistant sports online editor on staff.  He plans to play soccer in college and in his free time he enjoys hanging with friends and playing fifa.  He loves listening to Maroon 5 and enjoys rainy weather.  His favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother and his favorite part about newspaper is jamming out in the office.
$15
$625