NHL lockout ends

National Hockey League (NHL) had been on lockdown has ended after 113 days.  The dispute among the owners and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) was over a bargaining agreement.  The new labor contract will last for 10 years.

The players have been playing in foreign leagues while they waited for a deal to be reached, and now that a deal has been reached, they must make trips back to the States to prepare for training camp and start practices.

The season will resume either Tuesday, Jan. 15 or Saturday, Jan. 19, depending on an upcoming vote.

“I’m very happy that the lockout is over, it was ridiculous that they couldn’t reach an agreement, they already make too much money to start,” Billy Baker, sophomore, said.

Last season, the St. Louis Blues made the best playoff run they have had in years, but they fell short of a Stanley Cup after being swept in the Western Conference Semi-finals by the L.A. Kings.  However, the Blues brought much excitement to the community and fans, and gave them hope for followings seasons.

“Any involvement of professional sports in the community is a good thing,” Carl Hudson, Assistant Principal, said. “It’s good when we have hockey in St. Louis, it allows the community to support the Blues, and cheer for them together,” Hudson said.

$15
$625

JP Morray
JP Morray, Assistant Online Sports Editor
John-Paul Morray is a senior and assistant sports online editor on staff.  He plans to play soccer in college and in his free time he enjoys hanging with friends and playing fifa.  He loves listening to Maroon 5 and enjoys rainy weather.  His favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother and his favorite part about newspaper is jamming out in the office.
$15
$625