Fall teams to contend for District titles

Varsity boys soccer, girls volleyball and cross country teams are contenders in their upcoming District tournaments. All three ended their respective seasons in the top teams of their conferences.

The boys soccer team is looking for another shot at a district title, after they lost to Eureka in the district semi-final last year.

“We aren’t looking to change much to our approach, but it all depends on our opponent,” Chris Kenny, head coach, said.

This year, the team will be in districts with DeSmet, CBC and Parkway North.

Keith Grieshaber, junior, is leading the team in scoring. Although Grieshaber is leading in scoring, Kenny said the team is going to need players such as juniors Nick Werner, Jake Peters, Nathan Schilly and senior Henry Wynd to be just as strong.

“Keith is a big part of our offense, but we are going to need to work in the defense as a unit. Jack Harris has to keep making saves, and Werner, and Peters are going to have to be strong in the midfield,” Wynd said.

Wynd is the captain of the squad and is looking to win his first District tournament.

“We haven’t advanced out of districts in seven years, Wynd said. If we could do it this year, it would be amazing to be the first in that long to advance.”

The team is looking to continue their winning ways into the District tournaments.

“It’s going to be a tough road, but our season suggests we have a chance of winning,” Kenny said.

The girls volleyball team also has high hopes to continue their season through the District tournament.

“With our record at 22-3 there aren’t many physical changes to make at this point, but we have been focusing on the mental side of the game.” Jared Kreienkamp, head coach, said.

Caroline Finnell, junior, and Blair Schulte, senior, are the leaders of the team.

“When Caroline Finnell and Blair Schulte are playing well, the rest of the team follows,” Kreienkamp said.

The seniors are especially hungry for a District title; they know what its like to be knocked out of the district tournament.

“Our four seniors are going to be very important because they have experienced the disappointment of being knocked out of the playoffs in districts, Kreienkamp said. They can share that feeling, and drive the team in the right direction.”

Kreienkamp said the girls volleyball team has proven that they can win districts if they play similar to how they did during the regular season.

“A district championship is one of our goals. If we play to our potential than we will achieve that goal,” Kreienkamp said.

The boys and girls cross country team are preparing for their upcoming District meet on Oct. 20.

Mike Ebert, head coach, said the top three in the boys group are Noah Kauppila, junior, Adam Roderique, senior, and Kevin Ganahl, sophomore.

The team has a training program that is setup to get runners to peak their runs at the time of the meet.

“We just try to get the kids to run the fastest at the time of their last meet, Coach Ebert said. We don’t want to peak them too soon, because if they get to state we want them in their best condition.”

$15
$625

JP Morray
JP Morray, Assistant Online Sports Editor
John-Paul Morray is a senior and assistant sports online editor on staff.  He plans to play soccer in college and in his free time he enjoys hanging with friends and playing fifa.  He loves listening to Maroon 5 and enjoys rainy weather.  His favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother and his favorite part about newspaper is jamming out in the office.
$15
$625