Rockwood should consider majority of students before expanding gifted program

They packed Crestview at seven o’clock on a Thursday night, many with comment cards and strong opinions, ready to share their thoughts with the board. All passionate and all concerned, these citizens, ranging from mothers to PhD students, were there to defend Rockwood’s Gifted Program.

The entire cafeteria erupted in massive applause when school board president made it clear there would be no cuts in the Gifted Program. In fact, it was quite the opposite.

From October 12 to 14, Dr. Carolyn Callahan, a PhD in Educational Psychology with an emphasis on Gifted Education, conducted an extensive onsite review of Rockwood’s gifted education program and services. The study included a report with numerous commendations and recommendations for Rockwood’s Gifted Program, now available on Rockwood’s Gifted Education website. The study interviewed numerous teachers, students, school boards, parents and principals, and came only to the conclusion that the program needs to be expanded.

One of the main points of the summary is to make the elementary CCL program four days a week, and broaden the definition of gifted. She also stressed that the district should come to a consensus on a definition of gifted, as there currently is none.

There are numerous other suggestions made in the report, but the ones with the biggest interest are the ones previously mentioned.

I have no problem with the gifted students or the program in theory, but my biggest concern with extending the CCL program is funding. With a tax hike unlikely, and a $13 million budget shortfall projected for the next year, Rockwood isn’t getting any more funding. So how is it going to expand the CCL program, like the study suggests?

It will have to do the same thing it has done in the last couple of years: make cuts.

This year, Marquette lost one guidance counselor, which seems of trivial consequence. However, guidance counselors are currently hounded with work. Making an appointment with them may take a week, and even then they can only manage 10 or 15 minutes.

Although I’m sure there is a need to identify “gifted” students, the district needs to first of all make sure the needs of those that are not gifted are being met. If gifted students are allowed a resource office with counselors readily available, then those without a high IQ should have the same resource.

Rockwood’s mission is “We do whatever it takes to ensure all students realize their potential.” But how are they able to do this when the very people who reveal opportunities to students and guide them through high school are not regularly available? All I ask of the school board is that when they are deciding on where to make cuts to revamp the gifted program, please remember to consider the other 80 percent of students in your district: Those who are not gifted, but are interested in succeeding.

$0
$625

About the Contributor
Andrew Bemus
Andrew Bemus, Opinions Editor
Andrew is seasoned veteran of the newspaper.  This is third and final year on  staff as a senior.  Andrew participates in NHS, Young Conservatives Club, and Youth in Government.  He's also on the track and cross country teams.  Out of school, Andrew is involved in Boy Scouts.  His favorite food is wings, and he likes to watch Seinfeld.  Andrew enjoys very much the ability to share his opinion in every issue of the Messenger.  Bemus 2032!
$0
$625