Administrators need to eliminate 3.73 budget points

As part of the budget cuts going into effect next school year, teacher positions at MHS will be cut so Rockwood may meet its budget. Teacher salaries and benefits make up 83 percent of Rockwood’s annual budget.

“The district made all the cuts it could,” Principal Dr. Greg Mathison said. “And after we cut driver education and counseling, we found we needed further cuts.”

“Academics shouldn’t suffer because Rockwood is having money difficulties,” Jessie Berger, sophomore, said.

In Rockwood, all staff is paid based on a point system. Each member of staff is worth a different number of points. A teacher is worth one point. A counselor is worth 1.27 points.

Throughout the four high schools in Rockwood, a total of 20 points need to be cut. Cuts include parking lot attendants, one counselor, eight teachers, and four driver education teachers.

MHS needs to cut six points, including one physical education teacher and one counselor. So far, that’s 2.27 points. The remaining 3.73 points are left up to the MHS administration.

“It’s a big puzzle, deciding who to cut,” Dr. Mathison said.

After receiving input from stake holders, including parents, the Board of Education decided an extra $480,000 could be saved by cutting teachers.

The average salary and benefits of one teacher comes out to $60,000. Eight points times $60,000 comes out to $480,000.

The district budget office estimates the district can save a total of $4,661,660 from budget cuts all over the district this year, leading to a budget of $208 million for the 2011 to 2012 year. There is an projected shortfall of $8 million to $16 million for the 2013 year.

To decide on what to cut, the district holds stakeholder meetings where anyone in the district, from teachers to parents, are invited. These meetings were held in October, where attendees turned in Input Forms to give their opinion.

From these meetings, the input is given to a design team, who write options for the district based on what they believe to be the best cuts. These options go to the Board of Education, who have the final say on what to cut.

Many teachers were worried their jobs were going to be cut.

“At the beginning of the year we all knew the district was having budget issues,” Tracy Waeckerle, social studies teacher, said. “But we weren’t sure what to expect.”

Students tend to think there are other things that can be done.

“We should cut funding for sports that don’t generate a lot of money,” Ryan Lee, sophomore, said.

Dr. Mathison said the district went through several suggestions before deciding to cut teachers.

“These decisions are not taken lightly,” Dr. Mathison said. “All of our teachers here are passionate and care about the kids.”

$0
$625

Andrew Bemus
Andrew Bemus, Opinions Editor
Andrew is seasoned veteran of the newspaper.  This is third and final year on  staff as a senior.  Andrew participates in NHS, Young Conservatives Club, and Youth in Government.  He's also on the track and cross country teams.  Out of school, Andrew is involved in Boy Scouts.  His favorite food is wings, and he likes to watch Seinfeld.  Andrew enjoys very much the ability to share his opinion in every issue of the Messenger.  Bemus 2032!
$0
$625