Artist Spotlight: Kiersten Kuc

Media by Sarah Thompson

Kiersten Kuc, senior, has been expressing herself through art since she started expressing herself verbally. For her, art is a constant presence and a significant part of life.

“I like art because I can turn to it when I’m really stressed about other things,” Kuc said. “When I need to take a break from my other schoolwork, art is always there for me.”

Kuc first realized her passion for art through the elementary school art classes that students were required to take. At the recommendation of her art teachers, Kuc began attending art camps over the summer.  In middle school, she started taking art classes weeknights, under the instruction of Lee Halberton.

Even after Halberton moved away and the weekly classes ended, Kuc decided to enroll in art classes at MHS. She is now in AP Studio Art II, which allows her to create a vast portfolio of pieces that center around a theme she selected at the beginning of the year.

Kuc prefers to combine different mediums; much of her artwork is mixed-media.

“I’ll layer ink and watercolor or I’ll do acrylic and oil paints together,” Kuc said. “I like to mix things a lot.”

Kuc said she may decide to minor in art when she goes to college, not only because it will allow her to continue her passion, but also because it will give her a creative edge when applying for jobs.

Melissa Zemann, AP art teacher, describes Kuc’s work ethic as meticulous.

“She has very detailed work,” Zemann said. “She takes a lot of time with her work and really pays close attention to the details.”

$15
$625

Sarah Thompson
Sarah Thompson, A&L Editor
This is Sarah's first year on staff, and she's a senior.  In MHS, Sarah is involved in NHS as an officer, French Honor Society, STUCO, and the track and field team.  When not at school, Sarah enjoys reading and drawing.  She's also involved in ballet and plays the piano.  Pizza and chocolate everything are Sarah's favorite foods.  The Office and Pretty Little Liars are her top television shows.  Her favorite thing about being newspaper is being to focus on topics that interest her.  
$15
$625