Students and staff reflect on summer trip to Europe

Media by Sydney Kalmes

Over the summer, a small group of students and faculty had the opportunity to go on a trip to Europe. A 10-day excursion to major cities in England, France and Italy resulted in memories that some say they will never forget.

“I knew it would be a life-changing experience,” Courtney Crutchfield, senior, said. “It was a reasonable price for the number of countries we visited.”

MHS History and French teachers served as chaperones for the school-sponsored trip.  They said it was an enjoyable experience because it was both educational and fun. Della Thompson, French teacher, has gone of three of these trips so far.

“The best part about the trip is showing kids the things that I love,” Thompson said. “Seeing their reactions to the places that they’ve learned about in class is very satisfying.”

The French and World History students not only visited popular historical sites, such as the Notre Dame Cathedral and Big Ben clock tower, but also different restaurants and social hubs that exposed them to the cultures of each country.

Both Crutchfield and Thompson said their favorite country was France.

“In Paris, I really liked the atmosphere,” Crutchfield said. “Taking French for six years made it easier to immerse myself into French culture.”

Thompson said her favorite destination was the Latin Quarter of Paris, a lively area that is home to multiple higher education establishments such as the Sorbonne.

Thompson said she thoroughly enjoyed the trip and plans to be involved in the future. “I will chaperone this trip as long as I physically can.”

$15
$625

About the Contributor
Sarah Thompson
Sarah Thompson, A&L Editor
This is Sarah's first year on staff, and she's a senior.  In MHS, Sarah is involved in NHS as an officer, French Honor Society, STUCO, and the track and field team.  When not at school, Sarah enjoys reading and drawing.  She's also involved in ballet and plays the piano.  Pizza and chocolate everything are Sarah's favorite foods.  The Office and Pretty Little Liars are her top television shows.  Her favorite thing about being newspaper is being to focus on topics that interest her.  
$15
$625