A&E
MHSNews | Making Art at the Manchester Makers Mart
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • April 26, 2024

At Schroeder Park, the Manchester Parks, Recreation, and Arts Department hosted the Manchester Makers Mart to celebrate Earth Day. The event...

The Tortured Poets Department was released in 4 additional vinyl variants, including The Manuscript, The Bolter, The Albatross (pictured) and The Black Dog.
Review: The Tortured Poets Department
Zoey SroteApril 26, 2024

Since its announcement at The Grammy Awards in February, “The Tortured Poets Department” (TTPD) by Taylor Swift has been highly anticipated....

MHSNews | Geeking Out with First Friday
MHSNews | Geeking Out with First Friday
Gabe Conaway, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

Every month, the St Louis Science Center hosts First Friday. The First Friday held on March 1st was centered around anime. The event features...

Finding the Flame: Final Fantasy XVI Review
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 22, 2024

Final Fantasy XVI Main Game Final Fantasy XVI (FFXVI) is a groundbreaking action Role Playing Game (RPG) developed by Creative Business 3 (CBU3)...

MHSNews | MHSNews Gaming Ep. 10: Androids and Angels
Myles Edgington and Elliott JorgensenApril 20, 2024

On this episode of MHSNews Gaming, we dive into what components make an enjoyable and memorable experience within a video game. Nier Automata...

Pizza Pizzaz

Students, Staff Work at Local Pizza Restaurants
Media by Anvi Talyan
St.Louis houses the famous St.Louis style pizza which features a a thin cracker-like crust made without yeast, generally uses Provel cheese and is cut into squares or rectangles instead of wedges.

The salty, creamy taste of provel cheese is controversial across St. Louis, but to Blake Schwartz, senior, it’s home.

“It’s like a Frankenstein cheese,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz grew up with St. Louis-style pizza. His great uncle has owned an Imo’s since the ‘80s and is known for showing up to big family gatherings toting 30-40 pies.

On his 15th birthday, Schwartz received a call from his great-uncle asking if Schwartz would like a job as a pizza maker. After accepting the offer, Schwartz has worked at the Imo’s for three years.

“It’s a pretty good job, it’s fairly easy and laid back there,” Schwartz said.

At Imo’s, Schwartz said their deluxe and sausage-pepperoni pizza are their most popular pies.

Schwartz said that he understands why one wouldn’t prefer provel cheese but enjoys St. Louis-style pizza himself along with other regional styles.

“I’m the kind of person I can appreciate everything for what it is,” Schwartz said. “If I had to pick one I’d probably stick with St. Louis style though.”

Brendan Taylor, social studies teacher, also sticks with St. Louis-style pizza with his restaurant Stef’s Pizza. Taylor and his wife co-own Stef’s with another family and bought the restaurant in 2019.

“It was a big learning curve, and very nerve-racking,” Taylor said.

Taylor said his wife handles most of the affairs, but he helps with smaller pieces of business.

Some of Taylor’s favorites are the bacon cheeseburger and taco pizzas, and one of their signature dishes includes the Stef Special. Taylor attributes the special’s popularity to their generous toppings.

“We’re very gracious with our helpings; we don’t skimp on those things,” Taylor said.

Taylor said that many students eat and work at Stef’s as well.

Jillian Orendain, senior, has a job at Boardwalk Pizza, which she’s held for two years.

“I like working there, a lot of my friends work there so it’s pretty flexible and enjoyable,” Orendain said.

The Great White is one of their specialties, with an olive oil base and a mix of cheeses instead of red sauce and mozzarella.
Orendain said that she likes the Great White is one of her favorites and that her affinity for pizza has increased since she started working.