Girls Varsity Basketball Wins Districts For First Time

Girls varsity basketball beat Lafayette at the District Championship last Friday making it their first ever District win.

“It was so amazing to see the girls win,” Timothy Bowdern, head coach, said. “It was neat to see all the girls run out, and they were so excited to make history.”

The team had some changes this season that helped make this season successful with a 16-10 record.

“Our kids are a little older now, which is a good change,” Bowdern said. “We have most of the same players from last season, so they are definitely more developed and stronger.”

Not only were there changes in the players’ physical ability to play, but their team also had a new mindset and bond.

Kaitlyn Lee,  senior, has played on the team  since freshman year and is extremely grateful for the tight bond the team always had, especially this past season.

“As a team, we were a lot closer,” Lee said. “It really helped our team chemistry and our ability to communicate and play with each other.”

The game started in favor of Lafayette, but Marquette stayed close behind and never gave up allowing them to pull ahead in the second half.

“In the fourth quarter, we started to let the lead slip away, but Autumn made two really big plays, which put us back ahead,” Lee said. “It was intense with everyone cheering, but this definitely ended up being one of my best high school moments.”

It ended as a close game with a final score of 64 to 61.

Autumn Brown, junior, was also excited for this big win, as this is her third year on varsity.

“I was extremely proud of our team and super happy for my teammates, especially my seniors,” Brown said. “All our hard work really paid off, and it was a great feeling.”

The team practiced two hours after school everyday to prepare and had already beat Lafayette once this season.

“It was a great and unforgettable moment I know my teammates and I will never forget,” Brown said. “We are super excited to see what else we can accomplish in our last couple games and next year’s season.”

Caroline Cudney, Staff Reporter

Caroline Cudney, junior, is a staff reporter for the Marquette Messenger. In addition to Messenger, Caroline is a Dazzlers Junior Officer and a member...

Sarah Harris, News Editor

Sarah Harris, junior, is the News Editor for the Messenger. She plays lacrosse, and is involved Key Club and Student Council.