Opinion: Picnic Tables Gone Missing

One of my strongest memories from my freshman year is eating outside on the blue picnic tables in front of the school with my brother. It didn’t matter if I had a test the next hour or if I was just in a bad mood, being outside was calming and refreshing. Now those picnic tables are gone, and students can no longer eat outside during lunch in general for the sake of safety.

While safety must be prioritized in an age of school shootings, the administration should also recognize other times when students are outside and vulnerable. During last year’s solar eclipse, students were allowed outside on the football field to witness the event. For each Homecoming assembly, students sit on the bleachers facing the football field. Even during P.E. or Environmental Science classes, students can be found outside on the track, football field or even further from the school by the tennis courts.

By Marquette’s standard of keeping students inside during lunch, I should only assume that anytime a student is outside, they are vulnerable. This state of mind, especially for students who are required to go outside on a daily basis for a class, ruins or at least disturbs one’s ability to learn. Because if I can’t relax and enjoy a meal outside, how could I focus on identifying trees or working out?

About the Writer
Will Roach, Opinions Editor

Will Roach, junior, is the opinions editor on the Marquette Messenger. Will is the president of the Movie Appreciation Club and is a varsity member of...