Filed under A&L, Music

Review: Beerbongs and Bentleys

After the long months of waiting, the iconic Post Malone has dropped his second album.

Post Malone has had an insanely wild career, dropping his debut single White Iverson out of nowhere in 2015. This album has been highly anticipated by fans as he has not released an album since December 2016, his first album Stoney. Stoney was adored by fans everywhere and includes classic bops such as Congratulations, I Fall Apart, Deja Vu, and No Option. So, this new album had very high expectations to live up to.

Which it did indeed.

Within 12 hours of the album being dropped at midnight on April 27, track nine Better Now had already climbed its way to the number one spot on Spotify’s Top Charts playlist. As of the end of today, three of his singles, including Better Now at number 2, have already climbed to the top 10 songs on iTunes charts. Pretty impressive, right?

Now for the music itself. This album is a little more upbeat than his last, and more of the songs talk about love than being alone, again as the last one did. While there are still a few downer songs such as Spoil My Night, which talks about a girl ruining or at least trying to ruin his life, others like 92 Explorer are more upbeat talking about how much he loves and adores his customized ‘92 explorer which cod him only $1,500 before he sent it to the West Coast to be pimped out. This album carries more songs with less of a deeper meaning and more easily seen surface meanings that don’t bring listeners down in the dumps.

This album comes out ahead of the last one. While many people may argue that his first album will always be a classic and is untouchable, this one offers a bigger variety of songs ranging from slow and sad to upbeat and excited. Post Malone is going on tour this summer (hitting Saint Louis in June) and watching him perform these songs will for sure be a delight. This album earns itself 5 stars, making the long wait worth it.

About the Writer
Abigail Nebot, Staff Reporter

Abigail Nebot, senior, is a new member to the Marquette Messenger team. She has taken just about every other journalism class possible besides newspaper and decided now would be a good time to try it out. Abigail is a part of the Marquette swim team and has been since freshman year, along with the Parkway Swim Club outside of school. With swimming taking up most of her time, it’s just about the one extracurricular she’s a part of. She hopes to swim in college but has no idea where yet.